Wednesday, July 30, 2014

GRILLED CHICKEN HOUSE

Lately I have been on a Vietnamese kick – eating roughly 3 Vietnamese meals a week at the very least. In Midtown, finding a decent pho let alone banh mi is equivalent to spotting the elusive unicorn. However Grilled Chicken House makes a good banh mi, at least by Midtown standards.


Before you read the rest of this review, let me preface by saying I am a loyal banh mi customer of Banh Mi Saigon in Little Italy/Chinatown and that other places have never compared. (They legit close the shop down for the day when they run out of fresh baked baguettes. Good luck ordering one for dinner, the lunch rush usually gobbles them all up.)

Now that I have that off my chest, I can honestly tell you my review with a good point of reference. I ordered the grilled pork banh mi that contained picked cucumber, daikon, carrots, lettuce (not your typical banh mi filling), parsley, mayo, Sriracha and grilled pork all on a baguette. The baguette was crunchy; not as fluffy and soft as I am accustomed to and the pickled veggies were not as crunchy as I normally like but the grilled pork was flavorful.

This very small joint has a few stools for those who want to eat there, but the Grilled Chicken House seems like a fast take-out place for those who are craving Vietnamese food or something fried. (It seemed like half of the other customers who weren't ordering banh mis were ordering fried chicken/shrimp combos.) All in all, for $6.50 the grilled pork banh mi was tasty and very filling. I would definitely go back if I had a hankering for Vietnamese food or was in need of something fried.







No comments:

Post a Comment